Did you recently purchase a Detroit home and are looking to renovate? If you’re not sure where to start, we have a short list of guaranteed return on investment deals, which are fairly easy and minimal renovations for your property. Remodeling Magazine recently published their list of the top 5 things that will improve the sales value of your home immediately! All of these items have been proven to bring back anywhere from 80 – 100% return on your investment. If you’re looking to sell your Detroit property this year, make sure you check over this list to ensure you’re getting every dollar you deserve!
- Steel Door – Chances are that old Detroit home’s front door needed replacing anyways. When you’re looking to make a home extremely cost efficient and safe for new residents, a new coat of paint isn’t always going to do the trick. Consider installing a new steel entry door, which can range from $900 to $1,500, depending on the size and model. This new steel door will last for a lifetime, and require limited maintenance for a new home buyer.
- Stone Veneer – While this may seem like a daunting task to tackle, consider manufactured stone veneer instead of typical masonry elements. This stone veneer looks amazing on the outside of your foundation, in bathrooms, and can hold its’ own against harsh weather conditions.
- Garage Door – Garage doors weren’t made to last forever, and the mechanisms can start to wear out. With our heavy snow filled winters and cold conditions in Michigan, your purchased Detroit home may need a new garage door. Consider replacing the current garage door, as it has proven to be a high attraction for people purchasing a new home. Make sure to consider a door that matches the layout of your home, and can withstand the Michigan elements.
- Siding – The exterior of many homes need some work. Consider hiring a siding contractor to replace the outside of your home with vinyl or cemented siding. While they require regular maintenance to avoid fading and wear, they can be significantly cheaper than other types of siding, such as metal or brick. Additionally, the color options for vinyl and cement are endless to add to your curb appeal!
- Decks – While not as commonly found in Michigan, decks are a great addition to any home. Detroiters make the most out of their spring and summer months, so adding a deck could be the difference between selling your home for a higher or lower price. Costs for building a deck can range, especially on the size. Consider enclosing your deck to make it more appealing for home buyers year round.
Don’t forget to check back with Own It Detroit the next time you decide to purchase a home in 2015. Does your home have all of these areas covered? If not, it’s time to get to work!